Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's a sign!

So I ran a 5k in glen cove today, which actually kicked of week 1 of my marathon training for Hyannis.  It was a brand new race and I helped out the race director by donating the finish line food and volunteers from my work.  It was a nice turn out for a first time race; about 200 runners.  The course was uphill for the first 2 miles then down hill for the last.  Very challenging.  I only ran once this week :( and was just looking to do the best I could today.  It would set my benchmark for the next 20 weeks.  I didn't wear a watch, so as i came around the last turn, just before mile 3, I just let it out.  I was running shoulder to shoulder with a woman.  I turned to her and said, "come on and race me!"  We stayed tight right through the finish.  It was actually a lot of fun.  We shook hands at the end and thanked each other for a great finish.  She looked so familiar.  We chatted for a bit and realized that we saw each other at cow harbor 10k a few weeks ago.  It also turns out we have a common friend.  Anyway, as I crossed I looked at the clock, 30:24.  I would have loved to go under 30, but whatever, 30:24 is actually now my PR for a 5K.  I strolled around a bit and said hi to a lot of people and my finish line friend tapped me on the shoulder.  "You finished 3rd in your age group," she said.  Really? me with a 30:24? "No really, I just checked the results."  It was true.  They called my name and I got a medal.  I hate to be a geek here, but it was cool.  There was 12 people in my age group.  The only other time I placed in a race was a 5k where there was only 4 people in my age group.  I was 3rd and #4 was a walker.  I see today's 3rd place as a certain step up from that.
I'm taking this as an omen, a sign from God that I am entering my best season ever with a ton of potential.  I'm in a really good place right now!  (someone may have to remind me about this a few weeks from now.)

3 comments:

HolisticGuru said...

Great job Jen! You deserve that medal! Congrats!

ramster said...

thats awesome Jen! i am makign a note to remind you, too :)

Jamie said...

Way to go Jen! You are going to rock Hyannis.