Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Myth of Organization

Organization is not one of my hard wired traits. It is actually a discipline that I have had to learn, and re-learn, and learn again. Because this triathlon season is so important to me, I decided to dedicate a lot of effort this year to organizing; my time, my gear, my clothes, my life. I know that to achieve my goals, I need to execute my training plan consistently and I need to "fit it all in".
I dusted off my franklin covey day planner, bought some shiny new highlighters, blocked out a chunk of time each day to schedule and re-shuffle my schedule, I am determined to be organized. All in an effort to flow from one activity to another, achieving all of my appointments, workouts, and tasks. I even color coded chunks of my day to correspond to my priorities. I actually enjoy the intellectual pursuit of trying to fit 30 hours of crap into a 24 hour day! Plan, plan, plan! With all of this organization I should be super productive and highly effective. Right? After all if "fail to plan is a plan to fail" then "plan to succeed is a successful plan"

Why then am I left at the end of each day, discouraged and disappointed that my to do list is not done and I find that I'm doing yellow labeled priorities in pink highlighted time slots? I'm not enjoying the execution part. I don't find I have any more time and I'm not doing any more than I was before (except maybe more scheduling). So what gives?

Well, to start, you can't fit 30 hours in a 24 hour day AND you shouldn't try. Just being organized and planning up the wazoo won't help you with the execution part! I guess I had a little of my demon creeping up on me. Just because I think I "SHOULD" do or be something doesn't mean what I am right now isn't good enough. Trying to over-organize my highly un-organized spirit, it was like trying to teach a frog to fly. I need a little of the haphazardness of my life back. I need to get back in touch with my inner frog! When will I get this through my thick head?!

I'm throwing out my highlighters tomorrow!

1 comment:

ramster said...

Alright, a Franklin Planner, very cool. I had one before they merged with Covey. I dragged my management team (kicking and screaming) to a half day seminar on how to use them. A seminar on how to use a calendar, yes! They all thought I was an ass before hand. Some of them still do, but a few of us really learned some important goal setting and time management techniques that morning.

Before trying to manage your time day by day, hour by hour, its helpful to have a clear idea of major goals, a mission statement, a life plan. Having set these clearly will help to manage the day to day stuff effectively. Interestingly, this is echoed by Steven Covey in his 7 Habits.... It sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to end up, although you have a challenge to make the different areas play well together.

Next, and first, you must accept that you will NEVER get done everything that needs to be done, at least not when you plan it to be done. There is just too much stuff. And then interruptions. (And also impromptu naps ;) ).

Set aside a few minutes each day for "Planning and Solitude". I actually put "P&S" on my to do list every day. During this time you will:
1. Have NO interuptions
2. List the tasks to be attempted
3. Prioritize the tasks with A, B or C. A is Must do, B is Would be nice to do, C is Its ok if we do these too.
4. Number your items, starting with your As, and number 2. P&S was number 1!
5. At the end of each day, move the unfinished items to the next day's list.

i love this system, you really do get alot more doen when you make a list, priortize and number the items. And if you dont finish, you havent failed, you have just excercised flexibility, god for you!

I now also do this planning on a weekly basis. What does the weather look like for the week, when is it going to make sense to go out and ride, or will I plan a trainer session? What does the pool schedules look like? I try to pick two times when the maximum number of lanes will be available. What does the rest of my schedule look like, work and family? I find its easier to juggle once a week, then constantly struggling to squeeze stuff in.

Phew long post. And this wasn't on my to do list. I will have to start adding 'Check Jen's Blog'. Thats definitely on the A list :)