Friday, September 21, 2007

Losing to go fast

My stats today

155 pounds
29.5% body fat
Long Run to date: 9 miles @ 11:35, average HR 156, Max HR 166
Long Bike to date: 25 miles @ 15.5 MPH, Average HR 138, Max 150
Long Swim to date: 1000m @ 2:05/100, 20:50minutes, RPE: Hard

This past week was a recovery week, but a good one. I had some really good workouts. Tomorrow is a 30-mile bike ride and Sunday is a 10-mile run. I’ll post those results on Monday. I’ve re-posted my training calendar, you can scroll down and click open the link. I have decided to participate in the Mini Mightman sprint triathlon in Montauk next weekend. I’m doing it because it will make me feel good. I don’t really care where I finish I just really want to race.

As you can see, my weight is starting to drop. That’s a relief! I was starting to get depressed. I’d like to get to 18% body fat, which I’m estimating will put me around 135 pounds. I’ve never been lower than 146 pounds in my entire adult life, so I haven’t a clue what 135 will feel like. I do know that several studies have linked weight loss and running pace. It is generally accepted that a 2 pound weight loss will result in a 5 sec per mile gain in speed. So while I’m busy lugging an extra 17 pounds around and building leg strength, I can expect to be about 45 seconds per mile faster (at least). Then there is the bike.

I’ve promised myself a new bike for next season. I love Clyde (my current bike), because I credit Clyde with getting me into triathlon. I rode him now through 5 tri’s and he is still my only bike, but he is a steel frame Raliegh Sport. Complete with a triple chain ring on front and an eight speed cog set on the back, the shimano sora group set is a shifting nightmare. I love Clyde, but at 31.5 pounds he’s also a little portly. Even a modest tri-bike won’t tip the scale at more than 21 pounds (probably a little less) and with an additional 17 pounds off my frame, that a whopping 27 pounds less to lug up the hills of Tupper Lake NY! I’ll have to remember this if I’m tempted to fall of the wagon again.

750 days to go!

1 comment:

Tea said...

congrats on the weight loss!