Saturday, September 8, 2007

How NOT to run 9 miles.

I did my long run today in conjunction with the NYRR Fitness 4 miler in Central Park. The men went off at 8:30 and the women at 9:30, so I figured I would run with the men plus 1 then make it back around to start the 4 miler on time. I sandbagged a bit and left myself a 15 minute cushion in between. Not all days are good ones. Below is a lap/pace/HR chart of someone who spontaneously combusted during a 9 mile run, see if you can figure out what stupid mistake I made:

Mile 1: 10:52 max HR 158

Mile 2: 10:29 max HR 159

Mile 3: 11:17 max HR 163

Mile 4: 11:10 max HR 164 (yikes)

Mile 5: 10:42 max HR 164

(15 minute break)

Mile 6: 10:52 max HR 166 (tick, tick)

Mile 7: 10:50 max HR 166 KABOOM!

Mile 8: 13:45 max HR 166 (Walking!)

Mile 9: 12:04 max HR 166

It’s not like I haven’t run long before. I should have known better. I had no business going that fast that early, or charging up the hills, or not taking in any fuel, or stubbornly ignoring my HR in lieu of pace. Man I crashed hard and I kept crashing. I took in about 600 Kcals of fruit and yogurt right after the race. I was starving. I could have fallen asleep in my car on the ride home. I did fall asleep when I got home for 2 hours. You would have thought I ran a marathon.

Normally, I would have been very dejected after a run like I had today, but I’m still pretty jacked up. I think without the pressure of a race looming over my head, I can keep my eye on the big picture, without getting so caught up in the smaller pieces of the puzzle. Even though I blew up today, it still progresses me toward my big dream.

Oh yeah.... 763 days to go.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hey, well at least you know how fast you can go before blowing up!

Half of training is to strengthen your body, the other half is to learn more about your body. I think this run was geared towards the later half . :-)