Friday, August 24, 2007

Food Glorious Food!

Goal Update! I pulled the trigger and registered for 3 NYRR races to move closer to the 9 I need to qualify for the NYC marathon in 2008. I guess that’s the easy one on the list. Let’s move on to the challenging one….

Build and follow a consistent healthy eating plan to reduce body fat to 18-20% by 12/1/07

I’ve been on Weight Watchers, Atkins, Slim Fast, a handful of “10 pounds in 14 days” magazine diets, and of course the “I’m just not going to eat” diet. I should cut myself a little slack. I was a lot heavier than I am now. Prior to my adult onset athletic pursuits I was tipping the scale at 220lbs. So I’ve done well to a point. It’s just that my body seems to like 160lbs. I’ve dipped down to around 144, and then crept back up. Got back down to 150 then PING back 160. Maybe it’s just that I panic when I see 160 on the scale and stop eating for a day or two. Clearly, nutrition is an issue for me. It also is the KEY to achieving anything that I have set out to do. I need a plan. Few things that I have learned about myself with regard to my eating habits:

  1. Less is more. Not just in portions and calories, but choices. I do better when I only have a few meal choices more than when I have the whole food world open to me.
  2. Must travel well. I work in a place with an awesome chef and full kitchen, I have no fewer than a dozen excellent restaurants within a 10 mile radius, and I love to cook. I need food that is portable and well packaged to avoid food emergencies.
  3. Hunger is bad. When I get hungry, I eat the wrong things, too much of them, and often at the dinner meal. I’m also cranky. Eat well and eat often.

I would do well to have a Sports Nutritionist on my payroll, but since that’s not in my budget, here is my plan. I intend to eat 1600 – 1800 Kcal per day with a nutrient profile of about 65% carb, 20% protein, 15% fat. To address the issues above, I’m creating a few meal options of 250-300 kcal each that I can mix and match to eat throughout the day. I’ll also have a few emergency choices that I can keep handy in my office. I also want avoid processed food, sugar, and white flour.

Easy right? Well, we’ll see. I’m using a website www.fitday.com to help me track and calculate my food. I highly recommend it. It’s FREE and easy to use. As for right now, I’ve got to go eat dinner!

Post any meal suggestions or ideas you have….

779 days to go.

1 comment:

Tea said...

Good Plan!
If you haven't read it, you should check out Nancy clark's sports nutrition guidebook. It's an easy read and not at all boring.