Sunday, August 19, 2007

Dreaming the BIG dream

So, a few days ago I laid out my BIG dreams. Since then I got smoked by pack of cyclists out for a leisurely club ride and watched my heart rate go through the roof during what was supposed to be an easy six mile run. Not only do I have big dreams, but they are light years away from where I am now. I don’t want to bore you with overwhelming stats, but it’s useful to know where I’m coming from, if you are going to follow me to where I’m going.

Sunday, August 19, 2007:
159 pounds
32% body fat
62 resting heart rate
11:00/mile running at 143 beats per minute
14.9 Miles per hour average bike at 147 beats per minute
2:10/100 meters or 4 lengths of a pool
Best Sprint Tri time: 1:30 (2006)
Best Olympic Tri time: 3:29 (2006)

Clearly there is enormous room for improvement, about 20% improvement over the next two years. I had a conversation with Carolynn yesterday related to this. She asked me “Why are you trying to do this in 2 years?” She is and always will be my biggest supporter, but she also knows me better than anyone. I can be very hard on myself and she saw first hand the depression that followed my disappointing 2005 marathon. It’s a really good question too, because it may not even be physically possible for an overweight, back of the packer to improve that much in such a short period of time. I guess it comes down to this; If I limit my dreams to only what is perceived to be possible, I might never know what I am actually capable of. Even if I fall short in reaching my dream, chances are that I will have achieved far more than if I had not tried for it.

When learning how to set goals, you are taught to make them S.M.A.R.T.. That means a “good” goal is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. This is true and most people would argue that I am breaking most of these rules with setting my sights so high. Qualifying for Kona isn’t a goal, it’s a dream. Dreams have a different set of criteria. I believe dreams just need to be; Vivid, Inspirational, and Personally meaningful. Now, I have clearly outlined SMART short range goals to set a trajectory to my Dream but, I will reach farther and try harder to tick off these goals knowing my dream lies beyond them.

Don’t be afraid to dream.

784 days to go.

6 comments:

Honey said...

As you pursue your dream with joyful hope, it consumes you like a fire, giving you no rest, but motivating you to make great sacrifices, preparing you for bold initiatives, stirring you to adventurous living, to be somebody is to have great dreams. See you in Kona.....

Cindy Jo said...

Nice blog - I look forward to reading about your experiences!

Ski Dad said...

Jen, Without lofty goals where would humanity be? The word "grooming" would be a nice word for picking lice of of each others heads, thats where!! Go for it!

justadam said...

Very impressed that you posted your current stats.You just made your goal VERY REAL and attainable.

Kate said...

Girl~ I look forward to watching you get faster, stronger, happier and acheive your dreams. You can do it and you have people behind you to help motivate, cheer you on, and listen to the tears and successes! Good luck and keep us posted!

Tea said...

As you can tell, I'm getting caught up. Do you have a coach? What plan are you following?