Saturday, May 30, 2009

Open Message to Kevin from the Super Runner's Shop

I just sent this email to Kevin from the Super Runner's Shop in Huntington.   

Hi Kevin,

I was in your store today with a tall attractive redhead, looking to buy her first pair of running shoes.  She's 42 and 18 months out from 6 rounds of chemotherapy for Lymphoma.  She is a newly minted survivor who chose to celebrate by running her first 1/2 marathon with TNT in the fall.  I'm telling you this because you made it a point to remark how big (read fat) she is to be a runner and how much horsepower she would need generate to move.  You did this in front of at least 10 people in the store.  You, Kevin, are a bonehead. 

Carolynn said to me walking back to the car, "Well I guess this will just become one of my running stories, kinda like the one you tell about the the time you went out and a carload of guys that yelled fat slurs at you."  My heart just broke.  She will never forget what you said to her.  Carolynn beat cancer and because of that I'm confident that she won't let your remarks distract her from her goal, however, not everyone that comes into your store will be so resilient.  I owe my current health to running and I was 40 pounds heavier when I started.  Had I experienced what Carolynn did today, I probably would have concluded you were right and gone home to eat my life away.

We won't be shopping at your store again and I won't be sending anyone I know there either.  Having said that, I know some time in the near future an overweight person with walk into your store looking to buy shoes.  For their sake, please don't be a bonehead.

Jennifer Rehm




4 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow. I'm not really sure how else to respond to that. Jaw dropping.

Tact?

Or even just being human? Seriously. That guy is lacking something chemically.

Mark said...

I hate hearing that this happened! Usually the running community is very supportive of all runners.

Hopefully you sent this to the owner of the store as well.

Please let your friend know that we're all rooting for her! She CAN do it!

Bill Risch said...

I hated super runners shop before I just read this, now they will see no more of my money. Its hood to see that carolynn has good friends and family to support her!

HolisticGuru said...

Carolynn is beautiful and strong and amazing and so are you. Let us know if this a-hole responds.