Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Go Chrissy Go!!

Chrissy Wellington - World Ironman Champion 2007 9:08:45

Here is living proof that anything is possible – even my remotely insane dream of going to Kona in 2009.

Chrissy Wellington
- began triathlon in 2005
- Raced her first Iron-distance race in IM Korea 2007 as an Age Grouper and WON.
- Turned pro after IM Korea and seven weeks later arrived at the starting line of the 2007 World Championship
- Posted a 58:04 swim split
- Burned up the bike course finishing with the fastest women’s split by 5 MINUTES. She also managed a negative split with an average speed of 23.1 in the second half (5:06:15)
- Sealed the deal with just under a mile lead in the finish and a blistering 2:59:58 marathon.

Holy Newbies, Batman! Who is this woman?!
Yes, it’s true that it was a bad day for many of the top pros. It looks like stomach flu put most of them out of commission, either before the race or during it. Yes, it’s possible that had Natasha Badmann not crashed her bike early in the bike course, she might have given Chrissy a run for her money, but let’s be clear a 9:08:45 finish is a full 10 minutes FASTER than the time Michellie Jones won with last year and only 13 minutes slower than the course record. The girl has got game!

Chrissy must have had a strong fitness base before starting triathlon, and she did secure one of the top coaching professionals in Great Britain to train her for Korea. Even so, I have to believe that she had extreme clarity of purpose and “iron” determination to achieve the goals she set for herself. Clearly she did not enter IM Korea with the intent to finish and similarly she did not discount her own ability to perform on the great Kona stage either. She put on a fearless performance, confident in her abilities, and committed to giving it all.

I’m always motivated by watching great sports events, but I can count on one hand the events where true champions can emerge spontaneously. I watched Chrissy’s finish over the live internet feed on Saturday. As usual, I found myself getting all choked up watching her high five people along the last half mile. I think a tear snuck out when she grabbed a Great Britain flag from a spectator to carry across the finish. She even stopped and turned around to wave briefly just before crossing the tape. I wanted to watch it again. It’s been playing in my head ever since. I keep thinking, “That could be me, crossing the finish of IM Lake Placid. Knowing I’m going to qualify.” It’s not impossible. Nothing is impossible. Be clear, be determined, be fearless.

724 days to go.

1 comment:

Tea said...

Can you just imagine? 9:08? It's unreal to me.